[rrd-users] Cumulative totals

Ollie Maitland ollie at byng-systems.com
Tue Dec 5 12:39:57 MET 2006

Dear All,

I have been trying to figure out how to give a running total (or
cumulative total) of a GAUGE DS. Basically I would like the integral of
the DS so that for each time step I have the cumulative total.

I have tried the following:

DS:Registrations2007:GAUGE:86400:0:1000
DS:TotalReg:COMPUTE:Registrations2007,PREV(TotalReg),+

However I get the error: ERROR: failed to parse computed data source

I'm not sure if this is expected behaviour but I can see that it is
coming from the PREV(TotalReg) not being a DS.

I have also tried:

CDEF:TotalReg=TotalReg,PREV(Registrations2007),+

However this does not work either.

Is there a simple way to get a running total onto an RRD graph?

Many thanks,

- Ollie Maitland