[rrd-users] Re: ERROR: expected 2 data source readings (got 1) from N::...

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Dec 13 18:07:34 MET 2006

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 03:56:38PM -0000, Vaneet Sharma wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am using rrdtool to generate reports. I collect information via SAR.
>
> I used an open source product called novel cool solutions. ( monitoring linux ) ( http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/15964.html )
>
> The graphs are generating well but i get this in my errror_log
> ERROR: expected 2 data source readings (got 1) from N::...

You may have removed the interesting part, or maybe not.  Did you
change something in "..." and if so: why ?

I guess "::" is produced by an empty variable, like so: "N:${var1}:${var2}"
If ${var1} is empty, collecting it failed.  The front end should try again,
or it should substitute "U" (unknown).

> Though graphs are generated well, but this error makes me think, something might be missing and information displayed by graphs might lack something which can make the incorrect analysis

If this error doesn't happen very often then yes, you will be missing some
information and this won't really show.  The update fails, the next update
will fill the gap (if allowed by heartbeat) and although it seems that no
data was lost, you will have lost some resolution at the very least.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/