[rrd-users] Re: RRD step size retrieving older data

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Dec 21 20:38:53 MET 2006

John Biederstedt wrote:

>I've notice the when I graph mrtg rrd data older than a few months, the
>step size is always 24 hours.  For example, if I graph mrtg data
>(gathered at 5 minute intervals) from 6 months ago, it's clearly graphed
>in 24-hour step sizes:

RTFM ?

What did you tell rrd to store in your database ? Normally, you store
a short time at high resolution, a bit longer at lower resolution,
longer still at even lower resolution. If you've only stored a couple
of months of high-res data then there's no way you can plot longer
graphs at full resolution.

The other factor is to make sure your end time is a multiple of the
stored step size.