[rrd-users] Re: rrdgraph cgi script fails under mod_perl: UPDATE

Nick Sharp njsharp at bigpond.net.au
Fri Feb 24 01:57:52 MET 2006

Thanks Chris. I found this:
	http://modperlbook.org/html/ch06_04.html
said

"6.4.4. STDIN, STDOUT, and STDERR Streams
Under mod_perl, both STDIN and STDOUT are tied to the socket from which the request originated."
	AND...
"6.4.5. Redirecting STDOUT into a Scalar Variable
Sometimes you encounter a black-box function that prints its output to the default file handle
(usually STDOUT) when you would rather put the output into a scalar. This is very relevant under
mod_perl, where STDOUT is tied to the Apache request object. In this situation, the IO::String
package is especially useful. You can re-tie( ) STDOUT (or any other file handle) to a string by
doing a simple select( ) on the IO::String object. Call select( ) again at the end on the original
file handle to re-tie( ) STDOUT back to its original stream:

     my $str;
     my $str_fh = IO::String->new($str);

     my $old_fh = select($str_fh);
     black_box_print( );
     select($old_fh) if defined $old_fh;

In this example, a new IO::String object is created. The object is then selected, the
black_box_print( ) function is called, and its output goes into the string object. Finally, we
restore the original file handle, by re-select( ) ing the originally selected file handle. The $str
variable contains all the output produced by the black_box_print( ) function."
===============
That looked like just what I needed:
For "black_box_print();" use "RRDs::graph (etc);".
And at the end "print $str"

Sadly, the alleged redirection does not seem to be happening, libpng still gives the error, and I
have no graph (:-((

Is that good code?  It looks a bit strange to me, but hey what do I know?

Should that all work under mod_perl?

TOBIAS: Would it be possible to add a third option for RRDs::graph output destination

1	filename
2	- (=STDOUT)
3	$xxx (a predefined variable, presumably global)<<<<<<<<<<

or is there a known good way to redirect "-" output to a scalar variable?

Regards, and advance apologies for any newbie sillies!
Nick Sharp
MA Hons (Oxon), MBCS, CITP
International ICT Infrastructure Consultant
eMl:	njsharp at bigpond.net.au
Add:	77 Brighton Street
	Harbord
	NSW 2096
	Australia
Tel:	+61 2 9938 3459
Mob:	+61 413 948 375

"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
[H G Wells: The Outline of History (1920)]