[rrd-users] Re: differing disk i/o behavior for rrd update

Christian Smyth clsmyth at fuzzy-elves.org
Tue Feb 28 16:24:18 MET 2006

> are you using the same version of rrdtool ? rrdtool 1.2 has learned
> mmap io ...

Hi Tobi,

Yes, I am using rrdtool 1.2.12 on both systems.

On oldbox, I actually have 1.2.6 as the "normal" rrdtool...this is where I
first noticed the difference in behavior.  I thought to myself "A-ha!  If
I upgrade to 1.2.12, like on newbox, I will see the improved i/o
behavior!"  So I happily built 1.2.12 on oldbox, and installed it in
/usr/local, separately from the "normal" rrdtool in /usr/bin .  I repeated
my test, being sure to call the new rrdtool (I pathed to it in
/usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.12/bin explicitly), but I saw the exact same
behavior on oldbox as with version 1.2.6.  I was surprised at this, which
is why I am bothering you folks :-)

-cls