[rrd-users] Re: differing disk i/o behavior for rrd update

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Tue Feb 28 16:37:54 MET 2006

Hi Christian,

this could be a difference with glibc versions ...

use gprof on the code to get more acurate information

cheers
tobi

> > are you using the same version of rrdtool ? rrdtool 1.2 has learned
> > mmap io ...
>
> Hi Tobi,
>
> Yes, I am using rrdtool 1.2.12 on both systems.
>
> On oldbox, I actually have 1.2.6 as the "normal" rrdtool...this is where I
> first noticed the difference in behavior.  I thought to myself "A-ha!  If
> I upgrade to 1.2.12, like on newbox, I will see the improved i/o
> behavior!"  So I happily built 1.2.12 on oldbox, and installed it in
> /usr/local, separately from the "normal" rrdtool in /usr/bin .  I repeated
> my test, being sure to call the new rrdtool (I pathed to it in
> /usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.12/bin explicitly), but I saw the exact same
> behavior on oldbox as with version 1.2.6.  I was surprised at this, which
> is why I am bothering you folks :-)
>
> -cls
>
> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETL F24.2, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker +41(0)44-632-5286