[rrd-users] Re: traffic volume recording

Chris Roberts croberts at bongle.co.uk
Thu Jan 19 16:59:59 MET 2006

Atle,

> Since we're on the topic of traffic data gathering.. I have been looking
> for non-RRD based solutions out there from the same reasons as others have
> mentioned, mainly having data in a true form and not consolidated. So far
> no luck, are there any good open source options out there? A tool that
> stores the snmp counters in unaltered form in some sort of database, just
> like how RRDtool stores them but without playing with the data, where
> limits and datasource types are defined when you retrieve the data rather
> than on input.

I'm working on a project for which I've needed to do exactly this recently -
I've ended coding something myself using a lot of inspiration/code from RTG.
Maybe RTG would be appropriate for your needs as it is, as it stores raw
data and deltas... but... the learning curve seems to be a bit steep and I
think you need to be prepared to roll your sleeves up and get under the hood
with it a bit from what I've seen (a lot more than Cacti or RRD). I'm not
sure how well maintained it is now as well, although it seems moderately
active. They have a graphing tool (rtgplot) and an SNMP poller (rtgpoll) and
some perl scripts for producing accounting reports and 95th percentile
reports.

However, using the system based on it, I'm successfully tracking data for
40,000-50,000 individual counters, updating at 5 minute intervals (this was
taking me 5 minutes+ to update with RRD files, so I had to move to 10 minute
intervals) and have some scripts appropriate for billing/accounting
purposes.

Cheers,
Chris.