[rrd-users] RRD-Performance

gcorbehem at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 17:57:29 MEST 2006

Hello ,

I have a big pbm with IO  on my Linux server  wich collects  updates on
20 000  rrd files every 60 s.

A sar  /  iostat command  shows that the server is very overloaded at
periodic interval.

The updates are done with perl scripts.

Each rrd file has  3 RRA  :

RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1: 86400        (60 days)

RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:60: 4464            (186 days)

RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:240: 6576          (3 years)

The enormous periodic IO overload seems to come from RRD .

We tried to begin a modification on the RRA(s) to avoid those IO which seems
to come from RRD .

Those 3 RRA è   1  RRA     (1 year)

3 days later the server  is even more overloaded…

The overload is  not periodic any longer but  nonstop !

Could you help me ?

Thks.