[rrd-users] Re: Problems with Cisco switches

Eric Lennon Bowman ebowman at boboco.ie
Wed Jul 12 19:28:36 MEST 2006

hkclark at gmail.com wrote:
> On 7/12/06, John Oliver <joliver at john-oliver.net> wrote:
>
>> I have some Cisco 2970s I want to monitor.  I'm using a CentOS 4.3
>> machine with mrtg-2.10.15-1, rrdtool-1.0.49, and routers2-v2.16  I had
>> tried using rrdtool-1.2.13 but got some error, and Googling for the
>> error turned up several suggestions to "just use an older version", so I
>> did.
>>

> When you say "I started moving ports into VLANs other than the
> default", are you changing the VLAN of the port you are polling over?
> I assume this probably isn't your issue, but thought I would mention
> it just in case.  IOW, if g0/1 is your "uplink port" to the rest of
> your network and the one carrying the SNMP traffic, you won't want to
> change the VLAN on that (in theory, if it's a trunk, you could change
> the VLAN and have it still work [depending on the configuration of the
> upstream switch], but that would be a recommended configuration). :-)
> But, if ports 2-24 are access ports connected to end-stations, you
> should be able to change the vlans on those all day without any issues
> re polling.  Also, you aren't changing the anything on the VLAN
> interface where the IP address is assigned, right?
>
> Again, those are just quick sanity check things & probably isn't the
> problem.  I think the 2970 supports the debug snmp command... that
> should be able to tell you if the SNMP gets are making it to the box,
> and if so, what the details of those messages is.  It might also be
> helpful is you are trying to track down a bug.

Another thing worth looking at:  if something works from a shell, but
not from cron, then you're probably not setting up the environment
correctly in your crontab.  An easy brute-force was to resolve this kind
of thing is to have cron run a script that sets up the environment, then
runs what you really wanted to run, instead of trying to figure out
cron's slightly obtuse way of handline environment variables.

cheers,
Eric

--
Eric Lennon Bowman