[rrd-users] Problem with python bindings?

Todd Valentic todd.valentic at sri.com
Thu Jul 20 22:58:19 MEST 2006

It looks like a recent change has broken the Python bindings.
I've been successfully using them in the past, but I'm having
problems after an update to 1.2.15 (on a Fedora Core 5 system
running Python 2.4).

I get the following error when importing the module:

        Python 2.4.3 (#1, Jun 13 2006, 11:46:08)
        >>> import rrdtool
        Traceback (most recent call last):
          File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
        ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function (initrrdtool)

The release notes mention a change in the naming convention and
checking the subversion site shows the relevant change was made in
revision 839:

  http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool-trac/changeset/839

Backing out these changes fixes the problem. I think the original
version correctly follows the expected naming convention, but I'm by no
means an expert on this stuff. Is anyone else having problems with the
bindings?

Todd