[rrd-users] Re: Directory names

Rogério Schneider stockrt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 18:06:59 MEST 2006

Hi.
To centralize the graphing you can use SNMP to get the CPU usage in the
servers from one machine, using net-snmp package with snmpd on the servers.
Like, the management machine is the central, with net-snmp (snmp-walk,
snmp-get) and the the servers (monitored stations) wil run snmpd to answer
the snmp-get and snmp-walk requests.
This can be done through shell scripts, to collect data and store into local
rrd files, for graphing later. (sample in
http://silverwraith.com/papers/freebsd-snmp.php
)

You got it?

This is the good pratice, to use SNMP, but you can use some scripts to get
cpu and memory usage local from the servers, and then export this data to
remote rrd files (rrd files on the central management machine) via NFS,
remote SSH calls, or something else, but this is very plataform dependant
scripts and causes network overhead, not a good pratice.

Samples for linux here: http://stockrt.unicruz.edu.br/scripts/mrtg

Att,
 Rogério Schneider