[rrd-users] Re: Simple RRDtool graph

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Jul 27 20:49:55 MEST 2006

Guyon Morée wrote:

>I'm having trouble getting my head around RRDtool and all the
>examples/tutorials I find try to do something else that I'm trying to
>do.
>
>It's quite simple:
>
>i have a bunch of time:value data points like this:
>
>1153912440:31
>1153912447:30
>1153912452:26
>1153912460:28
>
>I want to put those in an RRD file, there could be some more
>datapoints added later but not much.
>
>In my graph i want to see a horizontal timeline from the first
>timestamp till the last and vertically i want to see my value plotted
>on the related timestamp.
>
>I dont want to see a value for the timepoints in between and i dont
>want any averaging.

Then RRD Tool is not for you. RRD is specifically
designed to allow storage of values using
consolidation to allow for efficient storage of
data over long timescales but at reduced
resolution. Somewhere in the docs it talks about
how data is entered, and it specifically converts
everything to fit the sampling periods defined
for the database.

Eg, if you set the sample rate at 5 minutes, but
one of your samples was late (at 6 minutes) then
rrdtool would put 5/6ths of the value into the
last sample bucket, and keep the other 1/6th for
the next - or at least that's how I interpret it
as working.

For what you want, you would be better off with
one of the other graphing/plotting tools that are
out there (but whose names don't come to mind as
I haven't used any of them).

Simon