[rrd-users] Re: problems summing many sources together

Georges Toth georges at norm.lu
Fri Jun 9 00:20:59 MEST 2006

> > (...)
> This creates 44 extra arrays containing ranges.
> >
> > CDEF:intot=in1,UN,0,in1,IF,in1,UN,0,in1,IF,in2,UN,0,in2,IF,in3,UN,0,in3,I
> >F,in4,UN,0,in4,IF,in5,UN,0,in5,IF,in6,UN,0,in6,IF,in7,UN,0,in7,IF,in8,UN,0
> >,in8,IF,in9,UN,0,in9,IF,in10,UN,0,in10,IF,in11,UN,0,in11,IF,in12,UN,0,in12
> > (....)
> This creates two extra arrays containing ranges.

Ah right, ok

> If your system is low on memory and will have to use swap space, I bet
> the first mentioned way will be much slower.
> On the other hand, if you hit a limit in your operating system, where
> lines become too long, you may have to do your adding in at least a
> couple of steps.

The system I'm doing the graphing on has surely enough ram to handle those 44
arrays and more.
I guess I would rather hit the maximum line-length limit.

> > Also, is there no more efficient solution for doing this ?
>
> How much is 1 plus 2 plus unknown plus 4 plus 5 ?
>
> There is only one answer: unknown.

Right. I just assumed that rrd would automatically translate unknown to 0 in
this case.
Or that there was a global option to tell it so...

Anyway, thanks for your help and clear explanations !

--

regards,
Georges Toth