[rrd-users] Re: problems summing many sources together

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Fri Jun 9 01:53:25 MEST 2006

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 12:20:59AM +0200, Georges Toth wrote:

> > > Also, is there no more efficient solution for doing this ?
> >
> > How much is 1 plus 2 plus unknown plus 4 plus 5 ?
> >
> > There is only one answer: unknown.
>
> Right. I just assumed that rrd would automatically translate unknown to 0 in
> this case.

I was sort of hoping that using "1 2 ? 4 5" showed why this may not
be a good idea.

> Or that there was a global option to tell it so...

Granted, 0 is as good as any other number (including 3).  Propose it.
Be prepared for Tobi to say "patches are welcome" :)

If such an option would be there, hard wired zero would not be
good enough imho.

If your goal is to meter bandwidth used, 0 is the better option.
If your goal is to compute bandwidth available, the maximum rate
is probably better...

> Anyway, thanks for your help and clear explanations !
yw

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/