[rrd-users] Re: longtime trends

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Jun 14 15:32:02 MEST 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 02:39:53PM +0200, Gerd Mueller wrote:

> Since I do not need a trend. Instead I need a sum.
>
> We want to graph the sum of used traffic for the last 30 days.

Are you sure you want something more difficult than average over
those 30 days multiplied by 30 * 24 * 60 * 60 ?

> > Or, a similar approach, change your script each day during those 30 days
> > to create a 1, 2, 3, 4, ... 30 day trend ?
>
> Yeah, is there any rpn to do such a calc?

Sure.  CDEF:result=data,{n times 86400},TREND
and fill in the appropriate number for n times 86400

> > If at all possible, the best you can get is something that may look like
> > a 30-day trend but is not.
>
> I need a sum. Trend was just the best workaround.

I doubt trend is a good workaround for what you try to do.  I am
not sure though, so:

Maybe you should tell what you want to achieve, in stead of asking
about a workaround for a tool you think you require.  In other words,
without talking about rrdtool, what is the goal?

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/