[rrd-users] Re: RRD-Performance Issue - Need Help

Darryl Lewis Lewis.Darryl at abc.net.au
Wed Jun 21 02:38:37 MEST 2006

Here are some suggestions;
Depends on how complicated you shell/awk scripts are.
Calling individual shell scripts are slower than having parameters read into a loop to go thru each server.
i.e.
while read servername
  do
  [snmp walk $servername]
  [update rrd $servername]
  [rrd graph $servername]
done <config.txt

config.txt contains a list of you servers or IP addresses, each on their own line
111.222.333.444
111.222.333.445
etc

Also if you have any often called pieces of code, put them in a function, as it stays in memory and it is faster.

Other things to look at, is the performance of the box itself.
Set up some rrdgraphs to monitor your local machine and find out if it is CPU bound, or I/O bound.
Last time I was having trouble, I needed to upgrade the nic in the computer.

cheers
Darryl