[rrd-users] I added another AVERGAGE line - any way to back-fill the data?

Steve Webb swebb at pronto.com
Tue Mar 7 18:26:37 MET 2006

Hello.

I added another AVERAGE line to my rrd file and did the dump/restore
thing to save the old data for my previous averages, but I'm wondering if
there's any way to back-calculate (just once) the data for the new average
based on the data from the old averages.

My "create" line was:

./rrdtool create /root/rrd_hits_charter/downloads.rrd --step 300 \
DS:Downloads:DERIVE:600:0:U \
DS:Upgrades:DERIVE:600:0:U \
DS:ClientHits:DERIVE:600:0:U \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:3600 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:12:3600 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:168:3600

The last line is the new AVERAGE line ("RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:168:3600").

I used "dump" to save all of the old data prior to creating the new .rrd
file, then I copied the XML data for the two old AVERAGE lines into the
xml file for the new .rrd file, then used restore to merge the old data
into the new .rrd file.  Everything went well, except the new AVERAGE
dataset is just now getting populated with data.  Is there any way to
back-fill the new AVERAGE line using the data from the old AVERAGE lines?

I could do it by hand, I suppose, but I'm guessing that there should be a
tool to just do this automatically for any available data.

Anyone know of anything?

- Steve

--
Steve Webb - Sr. Linux System Administrator
Email: swebb at pronto.com
Cell: 303-564-4269, Office: 303-497-9074
YIM: scumola