[rrd-users] Re: System clock changes

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Mar 9 02:22:10 MET 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 04:30:37PM -0800, mkerley at sonicwall.com wrote:

> The case I'm trying to deal with is a system where users have the option
> to disable NTP synchronization, and the system monitoring has problems
> if they happen to set the clock backward.  It's unfortunately a little
> bit more complicated than just using NTP or UTC.  Admittedly, this is a
> rare occasion, but we're trying to cover all possibilities.

Users can do all sorts of bad things to computers.  If you can't
trust the computer or its settings, monitor the system from another
place you can trust.

If they can change the system's clock, perhaps they can also modify
and destroy files  ->  your database could be deleted.  Allowing them
to alter process priorities may also affect rrdtool, etc. etc. etc.

You cannot cover all possibilities.
--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/