[rrd-users] Re: Who has the most RRD files (or data sources)?

Mark Plaksin happy at usg.edu
Sun Mar 19 03:57:06 MET 2006

Mark Plaksin <happy at usg.edu> writes:

> Tobias Oetiker <oetiker at ee.ethz.ch> writes:
>
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> I have not done serious work into performance analysis, but you may
>> want to make sure that you have lots of memory and that you use a
>> current version of rrdtool with memory mapped io support (1.2 does
>> that for you)
>
> Thanks, Tobi!  We are going to switch to 1.2 soon and will use mmap.
>
> Given the way RRDtool is written, do you have a feel for whether one DS per
> RRD or many DSes per RRD should perform better?  Different people say one
> or the other is better.

One more question along these lines--ignoring the size of the RRD file
itself, do you have a feel how much consolidation should impact
performance?  Our RRD generally keep one data point per minute for 30 days
and then one data point per hour for 10 years.  The second RRA was pretty
arbitrarily chosen because it didn't have a significant impact on the size
of the RRD files.  And, at the time, we didn't have enough data for
performance to be a concern.