[rrd-users] Re: Who has the most RRD files (or data sources)?

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sun Mar 19 09:40:42 MET 2006

Hi Mark,

opening files is an expensive operation as oposed to writing to a
file ... so having more DS in a single file makes things faster ...
unfortunately this places the whole burden of managing the DSs on
rrdtool or rather on you since rrdtool has no built-in
functionality for adding and removing DS ...

cheers
tobi

Yesterday Mark Plaksin wrote:

> Tobias Oetiker <oetiker at ee.ethz.ch> writes:
>
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > I have not done serious work into performance analysis, but you may
> > want to make sure that you have lots of memory and that you use a
> > current version of rrdtool with memory mapped io support (1.2 does
> > that for you)
>
> Thanks, Tobi!  We are going to switch to 1.2 soon and will use mmap.
>
> Given the way RRDtool is written, do you have a feel for whether one DS per
> RRD or many DSes per RRD should perform better?  Different people say one
> or the other is better.
>
> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETL F24.2, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker +41(0)44-632-5286