[rrd-users] rrdtool on Fedora Core 5 final release: info+question

Nick Sharp njsharp at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 22 20:08:57 MET 2006

This concerns compiling rrdtool on one Linux machine for distribution to other very similar
machines.  I have spent most of my time on Windows, and only picked up Linux about a year ago, so my
biggest culture shock has been installing third party items.  No .exe wizard inside a .zip any more;
you have to download the source and compile it mate!

I wrote and manage a LAMP+R application which monitors an international IP VPN network.  The
L=Fedora Core 4 Linux, the P=Perl, and of course the +R=rrdtool.  (New to the LAMP acronym?
A=Apache web server and M=MySQL database).

Yesterday, on two test i386 laptops, I loaded the very recent Fedora Core 5 final release (fc5fr).
On one machine, with development tools and libraries, I used all the relevant bash lines from:

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/doc/rrdbuild.en.html

to download and compile rrdtool, which ran OK, and then did a cursory test by successfully running
one of the examples.

I then used archive manager to make a .tar.gz tarball of the file system from
/usr/local/rrdtool-1.12.2 downwards (just 2.5Mbyte).

I then extracted that at /usr/local/ on the second machine, which deliberately lacked the
development tools and libraries.  The example worked OK on that machine.

I thus feel confident that when I get fc5fr put on the application's test machine, I can just add
the tarball, make sure that my Perl program knows where to find RRDs.pm:

use lib qw(/usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.12/lib/perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi);

and then expect the program to run without further effort (once I have done all the Apache and MySQL
initialisations of course).

Do you think it will happen?

Regards and thanks
--