[rrd-users] Re: 4charts.pl example problems with rrdtool 1.2.12

Doug Rice airthief at verizonmail.com
Sun Mar 19 02:15:27 MET 2006

Tobi,
Thanks for the reply.

> I can not reroduce this problem here ... could it be that you are
> not realy using 1.2.12 ?

Verified the version compiled and used...

# pwd
/usr/local/rrdtool.1.2.12.3rd/share/rrdtool/examples
madden## /usr/local/rrdtool.1.2.12.3rd/bin/rrdtool -v
RRDtool 1.2.12  Copyright 1997-2005 by Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch>
               Compiled Mar 17 2006 21:54:46

Usage: rrdtool [options] command command_options

Valid commands: create, update, updatev, graph, dump, restore,
                last, first, info, fetch, tune, resize, xport

RRDtool is distributed under the Terms of the GNU General
Public License Version 2. (www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html)

For more information read the RRD manpages

# more 4charts.pl
#! /usr/local/bin/perl

#makes things work when run without install
use lib qw( /usr/local/rrdtool.1.2.12.3rd/lib/perl );

> there is a more fundametal fix for this problem underway ... I am
> going to replace libart with cairo for the 1.3 release ... this
> should solve this problme for good ...

Hurray!

I also checked the bigtops.pl output against my old 1.0.49 installation.  The bigtops.png on the 1.2.12 install has the colored squares next to "beta" and "alpha" in black with maybe just the edge pixels of the square being in color, plus these huge, narrow black X's extended up from the squares clear to the top of the image.  Very odd.

Will be looking forward to version 1.3.  I have a home-brewed app that tracks temp and humidity in our computer rooms and another guy is trying to get the Cacti network monitor working.  Everthing is find except for the .png output.  The .pdf output looks fine but is awkward to use.  Apparrently Cacti needs rrdtool 1.2.x to work correctly so he can't use my old rrdtool 1.0.49 install.

rrdtool is good stuff.  We also run orca to track performance on our Sun boxes...  Thank you for all your work.
Doug