[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool on Fedora Core 5 final release: info+question

Peter Valdemar Mørch swp5jhu02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Mar 23 01:44:35 MET 2006

Nick Sharp njsharp-at-bigpond.net.au |Lists| wrote:
> Do you think it will happen?

This is pretty much what happens when you build an RPM. A "tarball" is
created with the built stuff in it, and that "tarball" is "untarred"
later on the target machine(s). (RPM uses cpio, though, if memory serves
me right, not that it makes much difference) So it will work fine initially.

Anyway, what I think is going to happen is that you're gonna discover a
bug in that build, or discover you need application XYZ and will build
another tarball for that, and you're going to run into problems with
libABC.so missing and build scripts and checks for that and pretty soon
all the balls and all the versions of the balls and the scripts are one
big mess.

That is why people invented .rpm and .deb packages, gentoo ebuilds etc.

We're in a similar situation, and I can only strongly recommend using
RPMs if you're on Fedora.

Otherwise, at least get a source RPM and use its spec file or whatever
that is called with RPMs (I forget) and then roll your own RPM. But my
advice: Use RPM, not .tar.gz

But why not just use an existing RPM? How about the ones on:
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/rrdtool/
(just did a google for "rrdtool fedora")

Won't they work for you? (You wanna limit your own work, right?)

Peter
--
Peter Valdemar Mørch
http://www.morch.com