[rrd-users] HP-UX 11.11 HP ANSI cc build "Unsatisfied code symbol 'rrd_clear_error'"

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Thu May 4 13:58:42 MEST 2006

Hello,

I use the Munin performance metrics graphing tool on HP-UX 11.11
PARISC2.0 64Bit
which in turn relies on RRDtool and refers to functions from the
librrd.

Although HP-UX is not a "supported" and tested platform for Munin
I post my query to the RRD Users' List instead of Munin's because
this is obviously a problem
related to my build of the librrd.

I know that Munin works on HP-UX 11.11 because I have it
operational on another HP-UX box
where I use prebuilt libs (also of RRDtool) and binaries which
were built with gcc.
The reason why I'm not using the same known to work tool on this
box is because
here I have a custom 64Bit Perl build for DBI, DBD::Oracle
support,
which I built with the HP ANSI C compiler (further referred to as
cc).

I built all the prerequisite libs of RRDtool such as zlib,
libpng, libart, freetype2
with the same options (which I took from my Perl build) with cc
and GNU make.

When I execute a munin-update I get an error from HP-UX's dynamic
linker
with a complaint of unsatisfied code symbol(s):

$ /opt/munin/lib/munin-update --host blabla --service df
/usr/lib/pa20_64/dld.sl: Unsatisfied code symbol
'rrd_clear_error' in load module
'/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.8.8/PA-RISC2.0-LP64/auto/RRDs/RRDs.sl
'.

This must be a known issue to HP-UX RRDtool build plagued admins
because I got many hits when I googled the dld.sl's error.
But following the links I didn't find any addressed solutions.
I also posted in the HP's ITRC Forum but didn't get much response
either.

I am convinced that this might be solveable by chatr
(e.g. changing the lib's search path or binding type)
But as I have never done systems programming under HP-UX
I don't know how this could be accomplished and how the dynamic
loader of HP-UX
is working.

Has anyone of you come accross this issue?

Rgds
Ralph