[rrd-users] Re: Labeling graph values.

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue May 9 09:27:50 MEST 2006

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 07:54:13AM +0200, Lemmermann, Jan wrote:

> It contains a storage description (octet string) that I like to use to label the values in the graph.

> Index - Description - MB Size - MB Used
> 1 - A:\ - 0 - 0
> 2 - C:\ - 24450 - 3880
> 3 - D:\ - 138709 - 11546
>
> and on a solaris box it can look like this:
>
> Index - Description - MB Size - MB Used
> 3 - / - 24680 - 1750
> 11 - /home - 5658 - 1291
> 26 - /export/home - 23995 - 3853

Just to make sure I understand you: With "octet string" you mean
"A:\" and "/export/home" and such?

Typically these would be set from the calling script, not from
within RRDtool itself.  RRDtool doesn't even have knowledge on
this; RRDtool just stores numberic values.

Your script should take care of proper quoting of the string; colons
and backslashes have special meaning. Then it's just a matter of
setting a variable (outside RRDtool) and using that variable in your
graph script; it is substituted before RRDtool gets to see it.

HTH
--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/