[rrd-users] Re: Why is HRULE deprecated?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue May 16 22:26:33 MEST 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 11:55:26AM -0500, Chris Widhelm wrote:
> I noticed that a number of graphing components are deprecated (print,
> gprint, hrule, stack).  I see the print, gprint and stack as upgrades.
> However, the HRULE being deprecated seems to prevent functionality, for
> example, the ability to create a threshold indicator that only shows
> when the graph is scaled high enough because of a C/V/DEF value.
>
> Is there anywhere that describes the reason for the deprication as well
> as when the end of life will be on the HRULE?
>
> Is there a work around to get the same functionality?  I tried the LINEn
> suggestion, which I couldn't get to replicate the functionality, plus
> LINE requires that you use a VNAME for the value instead of an actual value.

Does  "LINE1:100#FF0000:threshold" not work anymore?  It used to work
and was intended to work that way.

Your argument about a HRULE that is only shown when it is inside the graph
scale is, if true, a legitimate argument against deprecating HRULE.  It has
been a while since I last looked at the source.  I do not remember if HRULE
does (did?) change the upper and/or lower visible range.

So far deprecating was only mentioned in the documentation.  HRULE will
still work as it used to, so I guess it is easy to undo deprecating this.

OTOH: with "LINE3:100#FF0000" you can have a very visible line; try that
with HRULE.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/