[rrd-users] Re: Why is HRULE deprecated?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue May 16 23:19:36 MEST 2006

You wrote:
> >>                                                           ..., plus
> >>LINE requires that you use a VNAME for the value instead of an actual value.

which is not true, or was not true when the changes were made.

> I do agree that the visibility of LINE3 vs HRULE is much better.
> However, I can't sacrifice the ability to see a very small amount of
> traffic (< 3kbs) just so I can see a nice fat threshold at 3Mbs. 8)

Hah, but don't underestimate the power of a line reaching that big
fat red area :)  The order in which you specify the lines is important.

Seriously, when these changes were made I did not notice differences
between "HRULE:value#color:legend" and "LINE1:value#color:legend".

You argue that there is a difference and you are probably right.  If
indeed HRULE did not show up if outside the otherwise visible graph
area (meaning: HRULE did not alter the Y-axis) then this difference
between HRULE and LINE was an oversight.  It could also be that things
have changed.  I do not know and I do not think it is important.  If
there is a good reason to keep HRULE then I think it should be kept in.

> Is there any formal process in place for making the request to keep
> HRULE?  And possibly enhance it?

I think the formal procedure is to discuss it on the developers list
but I could very well be wrong.  In any case: Tobi has the deciding
vote; it's his program.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/