[rrd-users] Unexpected NaN values

jeffrey.j.petter at verizon.com jeffrey.j.petter at verizon.com
Thu Nov 2 18:08:47 MET 2006

Hi,

I am having some problems with unexpected NaN values in one of my rrd
files. First, a little background. I have been using rrd to monitor four of
our firewall complexes for about a month, after moving over from MRTG. It
has been working great. Yesterday, I added six more complexes to the data
collection and graphing (BTW, I am using one rrd file per firewall). All
but one of these is working as expected.

The file I was having some problems with was producing all NaN values,
which seemed odd to me since I am logging all the updates to the rrd, and
can see the values that are being sent via the update. I compared the
create statement that I used to create this database with the others that
were working fine, but could find no difference. Thinking that possibly the
file somehow became corrupt, I renamed it and created a new one. This time
the DS's defined as GAUGE were reporting the expected values, but all other
DS's, which are COUNTER, were still NaN.

To try to show what is happening, here is an excerpt from my log file
logging the updates:
blh-ebiz-int-fw-1: 2006-11-02 11:00:01
1162483201: 274020059,449740761,48821,  # columns are: time: accepted,
dropped, numconnections, and are COUNTER, COUNTER, GAUGE

blh-ebiz-int-fw-1: 2006-11-02 11:05:00
1162483500: 274294130,450001999,49216,

blh-ebiz-int-fw-1: 2006-11-02 11:10:00
1162483800: 274574808,450261670,48413,

The delta between the first two entries is 274071 for accepted, 261238 for
dropped.
The delta between the next two is 280678 for accepted , 259671 for dropped.

If I do a fetch for that time period:
# ../bin/rrdtool fetch fwstats_blhint1.rrd -s 1162483000 -e 1162483800
AVERAGE
                       accepted             dropped              numcon
acceptpcktsin      acceptpcktsout        inspectpckts      requestedbytes
allocatedbytes           usedbytes

1162483200: NaN NaN NaN NaN NaN NaN NaN NaN NaN
1162483500: NaN NaN NaN NaN NaN NaN NaN NaN NaN
1162483800: NaN NaN NaN NaN NaN NaN NaN NaN NaN
1162484100: NaN NaN NaN NaN NaN NaN NaN NaN NaN

Here is the command used to create the file:
../bin/rrdtool create fwstats_blhint1.rrd
      DS:accepted:COUNTER:600:U:U
      DS:dropped:COUNTER:600:U:U
      DS:numcon:GAUGE:600:U:U
      DS:acceptpcktsin:COUNTER:600:U:U
      DS:acceptpcktsout:COUNTER:600:U:U
      DS:inspectpckts:COUNTER:600:U:U
      DS:requestedbytes:GAUGE:600:U:U
      DS:allocatedbytes:GAUGE:600:U:U
      DS:usedbytes:GAUGE:600:U:U
      RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600
      RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700
      RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775
      RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797

It is probably something very simple, but I cannot for the life of me find
out what is wrong, or why. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could
help me find out where I went wrong, so I can get this corrected.

Thanks,
Jeff