[rrd-users] Re: Better many .rrd files vs. many DSs per file ?

Pavel Ruzicka pavouk at pavouk.org
Wed Nov 15 12:17:30 MET 2006

Hello,

> I will be doing some performance testing and will need to update
> 176 DS's at least every 10 seconds, maybe every 2 seconds at a
> time.
> If this all works for one server, I will want to do it for the
> 4 servers in my cluster so the number of DS could go over 700.
>
> Suggestions ?

Big problem can be disk performance. You must have enough of RAM
for cache. You can enable feature dir_index on ext2/ext3 filesystem.
If this is not enough, you can try to setup RAMDISK and work with
RRD files in a RAMDISK. For backup you can periodically copy RRD files
on a harddisk every few minutes or hours.

Best regards,

Pavel Ruzicka