[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool create question

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Thu Oct 5 19:20:03 MEST 2006

Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
> You can't.  It's a, or b, but not both at the same time.

    I'm not sure I understand what your reference of 'a' or 'b' is.  Are
you saying I can't submit values for three different DSs at the same
time (and would have to do each one one at a time)?

> There is no native support to add DSes (or RRAs).  But scripts do exist.
> But that isn't necessary in most cases.  Graphs can be created from DSes
> out of different RRDs.
    My reason for asking was to do one of two things:
       a) have a single 'diskusage' rrd file, which collect statistics
from all servers, or
       b) each server having their own 'diskusage' rrd file.

    In both cases there's the possibility of me having to add a DS (or
two) to the file.  In the first scenario, when a new server is added,
and in the second scenario if a new disk (that needs monitoring) is
added.  It sounds like I may be better of creating a single rrd file for
each item I want monitored.  That way I don't have to worry about needed
to add more DSs later.

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.