[rrd-users] Re: Newbie: Dump/Restore RRD with changing the "Step"

mjr mjr-nabble at ranney.com
Tue Oct 10 02:34:05 MEST 2006

Martin Schuster wrote:

> I'd try a 'fetch' (not dump), 'create' (be careful to set the heartbeat
>  >5min!), 'update' from the fetch-output
> hth,

I'm finding myself in this exact situation.

If you do a fetch, you'll end up with a bunch of rates, which aren't what
update is expecting.  In order to do this fetch/update thing, wouldn't you
need to simulate a counter (or whatever) based on that rate over the
original step value?

I guess that'd work, but it sure seems awkward.  Is there truly no
straightforward way to take an rrd with one step and then translate it into
a new rrd with a different step?