[rrd-users] Re: is rrd appropriate for my purpose?

Rogério Schneider stockrt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 20:32:59 MEST 2006

The key is "consolidation", so your RRD files wont increase, when it is
created, it already knows what maximum amount of bytes (or mbytes :) t will
need to store and consolidate data for daily, monthly and yearly graphs. So,
decreasing the number of samples for more spaced times you can save disk
space, reducing the resolution os stored data (i.e. 288 samples for a daily
graph means a sample at each 5 minutes, but you wont graph yearly data with
samples os 5 minutes.. you will use average/maximum/minimum consolidation
for taking a value per day to store and generate yearly gaphs). Daile graphs
= more resolution, more samples. Yearly graphs = minor resolution, minor
samples, generated from you "averaged each 5 minutes resolution samples for
monthly/yearly consolidation" .
Att,
Rogério Schneider

On 10/13/06, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

> >How doesn't incerease?
> >I.e. I will want to have a one year history and I will have no limit for
> >rrd file size, so rrd file will be bigger and bigger, until it will be
> >one year old, and then it will have aproximately the same size, no?
>
> When you create a RRD database, you specify what RRAs to store -
> number of samples/data point & number of datapoints. The file created
> is sized to accommodate exactly this amount of data, no more and no
> less - all data points specified are present and filled with
> 'unknown' values.
>
> As you feed in data over time, the unknowns are replaced with real
> data, the file does not change in size. Eventually, when you reach
> the time span defined for an RRA, the oldest data it lost.
>

> Also, I'm not sure if you realise that you do not have to store the
> full resolution of data for the full time period. For example, I have
> rrd files that store network traffic with 5 minute resolution for 2
> days, 1/2 hour resolution for 14 days, 2 hour for 62 days, and 12
> hour samples for 730 days (two years). This is the sort of thing RRD
> was designed for - I don't have to store 210,240 samples (5 minute
> samples x 730 days) to be able to graph traffic over the past 2
> years, but on the other hand I can't go back a year and plot a
> detailed graph because the data is no longer available.
>
> What you sample and what you store are not the same, how much you
> keep is up to you and your requirements.
>
> --

Att,

Rogério Schneider
+55 (55) 9985 2127