[rrd-users] Re: RRD-Implementation of Aberrant Behavior Detection

ch_cu2 at yahoo.fr ch_cu2 at yahoo.fr
Fri Oct 27 15:40:32 MEST 2006

Hi Christoph,

We've recently begun testing the HoltWinters algorithm... and that's not
that easy to configure. I mean, the setting of the alpha, beta, etc. all
depends to the particular behavior & nature of your data sources. Thus,
a particular set of values may become outdated if the nature of your
data source's evolution changes over time. A concrete example: we got a
firewall monitored, which was on a relatively peaceful network. Then a
bulky web application was added, which modified slightly the behavior of
the traffic on this firewall...

So, nothing easy, but definitively useful... And of course any advice
and question will be welcomed!

PS: we are not using RRDTool itself but a c# port that we've built and
which, relying on the same specifications, is supposed to do the same
aberrant behavior detection.

Cheers,
Christian