[rrd-users] Re: Manipulating and Graphing Data

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Oct 31 21:45:28 MET 2006

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 10:42:15AM -0600, Tony Varriale wrote:
> > Closer, but it uses the values supplied AND THE TIME INTERVALS to
> > work out the rate over each interval defined in your rrd. If your
> > updates EXACTLY match the time intervals then the rate stored will
> > match the value you put in, otherwise it will be adjusted.
>
> Right, which is why when I use GAUGE for this specific application, the
> value is preserved.

No, it is not.

GAUGE is _not_ a value, it is a rate.  And it is subject to
any normalization and consolidation like any other rate.

It does not matter if you use COUNTER, DERIVE or GAUGE; the
data is, always has been and probably will always be, a rate.

If you want to know the difference between now and the previous,
this is what DERIVE is for.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/