[rrd-users] Re: Manipulating and Graphing Data

Tony Varriale tvarriale at comcast.net
Tue Oct 31 23:31:09 MET 2006

Sorry, I replied to Simon directly...

> OK, try giving us an example of :
> what you put in
> what you expect to come out
> what you actually get out
> and if the latter two are different, why you think it's wrong !

Ok.  I am trying to gather and graph dropped packets in a qos queue on
multiple cisco platforms.  It looks something like this:

ciscorouter#sh policy-map int sX/X/X:0
    Class-map: class-default (match-any)
      33723596 packets, 29789238429 bytes
      30 second offered rate 95000 bps, drop rate 0 bps
      Match: any
      Queueing
        Flow Based Fair Queueing
        Maximum Number of Hashed Queues 256
        (total queued/total drops/no-buffer drops) 0/656712/0

If you look at the last line of that output, you'll see "total drops" is
currently 656712.  That number will continue to increment at undefined
intervals and will always go up except after a counter flip.  In 2 hours, it
may have 0 additional drops...or it may have 100000.

I am inputting the number of 656712 at this snapshot in time.

What I would like to graph is if there are any increases in that number.
So, if this was my first poll the "base" number is 656712.  On the graph it
SHOULD represent 0.  Let's say I poll in another 5 minutes (which I do) and
the number is 656812 (100 additional drops).  I would like to graph 100
(656812-656712 or current-previous).

What I actually get out depends on the DS type.  When set to gauge, I get
the actual number of total drops and the graph keeps going up.  The graph
shows approximately the number of 656712 in the first poll and 656812 in the
second poll.  Again, the exact number isn't super important as long as I get
close.

If I set the DS type to COUNTER, DERIVE or anything else, I would get
something as 0,1,3,0.  I believe I understand why this is the case but it's
not close to accurate.

Why I think it's wrong?  Well...0,1,3,0 isn't even close to the actual
"total drops" which is my goal.  When set to GAUGE, it is close and I would
be happy with that as long as I could take the difference between the
current value and the previous and graph the difference.

I hope I explained that correctly.

Thanks for reading.

tv