[rrd-users] Re: Manipulating and Graphing Data

Tony Varriale tvarriale at comcast.net
Tue Oct 31 23:56:23 MET 2006

> Yeah.  Except that this is oversimplified.  Really, you can find more
> information on normalization and consolidation on my site.

I read that.  I've read a bunch of stuff.

> Stop thinking "n drops".  Start thinking "n drops per second".

I am.

> Everything (!!!) is a rate in rrdtool, and I don't care what
> the beginners guide says. It is wrong.  Contact its author
> to get this fixed.

Ok.

>> Inputting "1" as derive or counter, when the previous input was
> "0", means "1 per 300 seconds" (assuming 300 second interval).

I understand that.  I think you are making an assumption that I don't.

>> But inputting "1" as gauge means "1 per second", not just "1" and
> also not "1/300".  This is what is used "as is".  But if the interval
> wasn't 300 seconds (but 305, or 295) then normalization will still
> occur.  That's why inputting "1" may result in "0.93" or "1.07".

That's great...that's what I understand too.  Again, I don't care about the
normalization because if and when that occurs my graph would be close and
useful.  So, let's drop that for our discussion.

>> But inputting "1" as gauge means "1 per second", not just "1" and
> also not "1/300".  This is what is used "as is".  But if the interval
> wasn't 300 seconds (but 305, or 295) then normalization will still
> occur.  That's why inputting "1" may result in "0.93" or "1.07".

> This "1" is NOT stored.  If the interval happened to be exactly
> 300 seconds and if it started exactly at the right time, then
> the resulting normalized rate will also be "1".  _That_ "1" _is_
> stored, but that value could also have become 0.93 or 1.07 or...

That's fine by me.  As stated numerous times...I said it doesn't have to be
exact.  Just CLOSE/USEFUL.

> Please, do yourself, me and the rest a favor and first read the
> available information before making wrong assumptions again.  I
> wrote it for a reason, namely so that I did not have to repeat
> myself each time on this list...  which brings me to searching
> the archives...  use them.  You can read questions and answers
> you have not yet asked.

I already have done you and myself the favor.  Once again, you are making
the assumption I have not.  I nor asked or officially requested you to
repeat yourself.

> You expect -4 ? Then you need to multiply by 300.  That would
> make it a value per 300 seconds (NOT just 4).

I would set the min graph value to 0 so I would not see a -4 as -4 isn't
useful.

If you aren't willing to assist me, then why be condescending?  Why not just
either be helpful or not post?  I didn't come here to have people make bad
assumptions and be treated like a jag.  I came here because I felt that I've
spent too much time trying to find what I'm looking for...therefore I
reached out on this list.

I am asking for help because I've spent numerous hours reading documention
as well manually searching the archive (as well as experimenting) because
the search isn't the greatest thing in the world.

tv