[rrd-users] Re: Multi threaded Perl scripts using RRDTool

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Sep 6 17:33:17 MEST 2006

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 10:19:55AM -0500, Anders Nygren wrote:

> > rrdtool uses filesystem locking systemcalls ... to prevent rrdtools
> > from trippiong over each other.

> > Just to make sure that I understand. Does that mean there is NO
> > risks involved when 2, or more, processes tries to access the
> > same rrd file at the same time?
> > I will not get any errors because the file is locked by another
> > process, or anything like that?
>
> To which Tobias answered me
>
> > yes rrdtool does it's own locking, no need for you to worry ...
>
> Or is this thread specifically about a perl library problem??

I think Tobi was referring to another possible problem, one where
multiple rrdtool processes would access the same rrd file.  This
is prevented by the locking process Tobi describes.

The currently discussed problem is another problem.  Or at least
that is what I think I read.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/