[rrd-users] Re: adding holt-winters forecasting to existing databases

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sat Sep 9 16:45:50 MEST 2006

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 12:27:41AM +1000, Darryl Lewis wrote:

> I have about 100 rrd's that I'd like to modify and add Holt-Winters forecasting to.
> Being that I have a 12 months worth of data in each of them, I'm reluctant to blow them away and start again.
> I'd like to modify the existing databases to include
>
> RRA:HWPREDICT:rows:alpha:beta:seasonal period[:rra-num]
> RRA:SEASONAL:seasonal period:gamma:rra-num
> RRA:DEVSEASONAL:seasonal period:gamma:rra-num
> RRA:DEVPREDICT:rows:rra-num
> RRA:FAILURES:rows:threshold:window length:rra-num
>
> Does anyone have a script or procedure / set of instructions to add these to existing rrd's?

No experience with HW, but transfering available data to a new database
should be standard.

1:
Create the new database, make sure to set "--start" slightly earlier than
the oldest data you're going to insert.

2:
Tune the new RRD so that it accepts gauge data (no matter the real DS types).
Also set the heartbeat to a high number, at least as high as the largest
step*steps in your RRAs.

3:
Use rrdtool fetch to get data out of the original RRD. Feed this data into
the new RRD

4:
Tune the RRD back to its original settings.

Step 3 may involve a couple of substeps, depending on the resolution of
your RRAs.  Make sure you understand data consolidation and you'll know
what to do.

HTH
--
Alex van den Bogaerdt