[rrd-users] Re: Stacked area's limit

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Sep 25 12:07:42 MEST 2006

Steven Hartland wrote:

>Thanks for that. Any ideas why then; if I graph just the
>negative values they display fine, same with the positives
>but when I graph both together I only get the positives
>the y axis starts at 0. If I reduce the number of included
>sources it displays both positive and negative just fine
>as well.

Just as a thought, are you graphing things in the right order ?

It's embarassing to admit this, but my first attempt I did something
like this (in bash) :

IP=StartIP
Stack=""
First=0
while [ $IP -lt $EndIP ]
do
   cat <<ENDSCRIPT
   DEF:${IP}-in=/var/rrd/netstats.rrd:ip${IP}-in:AVERAGE
   DEF:t${IP}-out=/var/rrd/netstats.rrd:ip${IP}-out:AVERAGE
   CDEF:${IP}-out=t${IP}-out,-1,*

   AREA:${IP}-in#${colour}:"${Address}"${Stack}

   AREA:${IP}-out#${colour}:${Stack}"

ENDSCRIPT

   IP=$(( ${IP} + 1 ))
   [ ${First} -eq 0 ] && { First=1 ; Stack=":STACK" ; }

done

At first I just had some test data and it seemed to work, then as
soon as I fed it real data I got graphs that were wrong but I
couldn't see what was wrong - then I twigged that I needed to graph
all the positives, and then the negatives as a separate stack. Doh !

The way I'd done it, if I had +1,-1 as the first pair, I did the +1,
but then stacked the -1 on top of it and ended up back at the y=0
line. When the next pair of values got plotted, it obliterated the
first and so it looked like it had never been plotted at all. For the
test data I'd simulated some outbound traffic, then some inbound, but
not both at the same time - so I never saw the problem.