[rrd-users] RRD create. Advice needed if this is correct.

Js forums at emat.be
Wed Apr 11 15:43:59 CEST 2007

Hi list,

Could someone verify this for me if this is correct what I'm doing,..

I want to create a RRD database that contains 4 values over a timespan
of 10 years.
The database should be updated only 2 times per day that makes every 12
hours or 43200 seconds.

one DS should just hold the latest entry
one DS should hold the average of 1 day (that makes 2 times 43200) for a
timespan of 10 years.
one DS should hold the average of 31 days (that makes 62 times 43200)
for a timespan of 10 years.
one DS should hold the average of 365 days (that makes 730 times 43200)
for a timespan of 10 years.

#/usr/bin/rrdtool create test.rrd --step 43200 DS:test:GAUGE:86400:0:U \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:1 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:2:3650 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:62:120 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:730:10

The rrd file is only 31K in size, which is quite small.
Correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks in advance,

Js