[rrd-users] Unable to specify which version of RRDs perl module to use

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 00:37:14 CEST 2007

  After working on this all weekend, i have more information which
hopefully will prompt someone to recognize something I'm missing/doing
wrong.  I don't believe it's RRDTool's problem per se, but after
spending 2 days in #perl on Freenode, I'm desperate.
   I have rrdtool-1.0.something installed, and RRDs.pm is in the main
site perl directory (/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/RRDs.pm).  I do not wish to
use these versions with the script I'm currently working on though.
   So, I have installed 1.2.19 in /usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.19/  and its
RRDs.pm is in /usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.19/lib/perl/5.6.1/i386-linux/RRDs.pm.
 In order to use these, I'm specifying:

use lib '/usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.19/lib/perl/5.6.1/i386-linux';
use RRDs;

   This all seems to work fine if I call my script from the command
line.  However, when I call it from a web form, it REFUSES to use my
newer RRDs.pm, and it reverts to the old version instead.  To debug, I
print @INC immediately after my 'use lib' statement.  Cmd line AND web
form invocations show that my lib path is being prepended on @INC.
But when called from a web form, $INC{'RRDs.pm'} is always set to the
OLD one.  I then added a:

if (-r '/usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.19/lib/perl/5.6.1/i386-linux/RRDs.pm')

  to make sure the web user (apache) can read the file, and it CAN.
So, I can't figure out for the LIFE of me why my script won't use the
newer RRDs.pm.
  Any insight would be very well received.  Cheers.

David