[rrd-users] RRDTool time format

musto must_top at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 05:53:38 CEST 2007

Hello everyone :)

I'm having problems in creating a timestamp with a given long value. I got
the long value by using  a simple rrdtool command, which is "rrdtool info
<table_name>.rrd" and I look for the row that showsl "last_update  =
1186372065"   and
get the number. I'm pretty sure it is correct (Am I not ?).

this is the code that I wrote :

import  java.sql.Timestamp;

System.out.println(new Timestamp (1186364206).toString());

the output :

1970-01-15 01:02:44.206

It seems to be wrong, since the table was updated about one minute earlier
before I wrote the code. The weird thing is, when I typed

System.out.println(System.currentTimeMillis().getTime());

the output :

1186370094158 <== this long value is much longer than the one I got from the
database (1186364206) and I wonder why

* I'm using a real-time database (done with RRDTool) that stores values
every 15 seconds. In order to get the last inserted value all I got to do is
typing this command (rrdtool info <table_name>.rrd) and the long value will
show up.

I hope I don't create too much confusion here among the readers. Any help
will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mustofa