[rrd-users] Neuro data in RRD - ns time steps?

Peter Passaro p.a.passaro at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Aug 28 18:11:26 CEST 2007

Hi All,

I'm an academic neuroscientist who is looking for an efficient way to
store and retrieve recorded neuronal data for use in an intranet data
browser app. After an initial read through the documentation and
tutorials, RRD seems to be very close to what I had been thinking of
with one exception, our data is recorded at 5-25KHz, so we need time
steps of 50-200 nanoseconds. So I am wondering... has anyone modified
RRD to work with smaller time steps? If not, I am curious about how
much coding would be required to do this (i.e. how deeply embedded is
the time structure currently used in the database)

My alternatives would be to use a BLOB system in MySQL, or just use
file references in a database and build a custom system to scan the
binary data files and return the requested chunks.  So I would also
be curious if anyone has any opinions (performance, scalability,
etc.) of different ways of building time series data browsers.

By the way, our files are large - each experiment is recorded on 60
channels for 2 hours, which we break into consecutive 2 minute files
(~ 70Mb for a 5Khz recording) for ease of use. I would ideally like
to have an RRD for each 2 hour experiment, with each channel as one
GAUGE DS containing 36-180M data points (in the native format theses
are 2 byte unsigned integers). Are these sorts of numbers worrisome
in terms of performance?

Thanks,
Peter

Peter Passaro