[rrd-users] Rrdtool restore problems

Shriver, Daniel dshriver at mitre.org
Wed Aug 29 16:51:43 CEST 2007

I'm having a lot of problems doing rrd database restore.

I have two version of the rrdtool set and have problems with both of
them.
The original databases are made using 1.2.12 tools.

I can successfully generate an XML file from that 1.2.12 db both with
the version 1.2.12 tools and the version 1.2.23 tools.  To my human
eyes the XML file looks valid, however, if I try to restore (using
1.2.23 version tools) I get a cryptic error message:

              ERROR: Incompatible file version, detected version . This
is not supported by the version 0003 restore tool.

I'd think that going from binary to text would be hard and from text to
binary would be easy.  So I don't understand why the export works and
the restore doesn't.  Also, given proper DTD's schemas... I'd think
XML->binary would be even easier to "upgrade".

Also, the error message seems odd to me in that it seems to be not even
understanding what version I'm using when it says "detected version . "
and why doesn't it say "the version 0023 restore tool" since I'm using
1.2.23?

Any tips?

Also are there any suggestions about python bindings for rrd?
Currently I'm making shell calls to the rrdtools from python (kind of
hacky).

Thanks