[rrd-users] Rrdtool restore problems

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Aug 29 17:27:01 CEST 2007

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 10:51:43AM -0400, Shriver, Daniel wrote:

> Also, the error message seems odd to me in that it seems to be not even
> understanding what version I'm using when it says "detected version . "
> and why doesn't it say "the version 0023 restore tool" since I'm using
> 1.2.23?

[note: not 100% sure about every little detail]

The database can be version 1 or version 3.
The software can be version 1.0.x or 1.2.x
Software version 1.0.x cannot cope with version 3 databases.
Software version 1.2.x can cope with version 1 databases.

If you update a version 1 database with version 1.2.x software,
the database will be upgraded to version 3.

If you dump a database version 1, using 1.0.x software, you cannot
restore it using software version 1.2.x software.

> Any tips?

Don't mix 1.0.x and 1.2.x software.
Update your existing databases using version 1.2.x software only.
Dump and restore your existing databases using version 1.2.x software only.

HTH
--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/