[rrd-users] Scaling rrd tables for best performance

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Dec 6 13:43:23 CET 2007

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 12:19:26PM +0100, Boer, Martin wrote:
> Alex,
>
> In my current Perl code I open an RRDp connection.
> To me it seams both remote control and RRDp do roughly the same.
> Would you recommend using the remote control option over RRDp or won't that matter ?
> Performance is something I worry about as I have about 20.000 rrdfiles which all need to be updated every 5 minutes so performance is an issue and my endusers would like to see larger RRA's which would in effect triple the amount of data.

I think that indeed RRDp is similar to "rrdtool -".

Larger RRAs shouldn't make much of a diffence with recent RRDtool versions,
as that specific data is no longer cached.

I'm not sure if RRDtool does or does not cache the header parts of
each RRD.  This could be a good thing, provided that enough memory
is available.

I'm sure there are people on the list who are a lot more qualified
to talk about these kind of performance issues than I am.  Please
chime in if you are one of them!

cheers,
Alex