[rrd-users] Label spaces and pipe mode

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Mon Dec 17 20:50:15 CET 2007

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 02:18:42PM -0500, Cole Tuininga wrote:
> Hi all - I need a little help with using rrdtool's "pipe mode".  I
> have a (potentially) lengthy command to send to rrdtool, so I'm making
> use of the pipe mode to execute it.  If you might remember from my
> last question, I'm adding spaces to the label names to help with
> alignment.  The problem I'm running into is that if I have graphing
> commands that look like:
>
> AREA:GRAPH7:Area 1
> AREA:GRAPH3:Area 2       :STACK
> AREA:GRAPH2:Area 3     :STACK
> AREA:GRAPH8:Area 4    :STACK
> (etc)
>
> and I put them all on a single line, I get an error back from the
> rrdtool pipe saying:
>
> ERROR: Could not make sense out of \':STACK\'
>
> Can anybody offer up the correct magic incantation (or even just
> correct syntax :) ) to make this work correctly?  Thanks in advance.

I can see two possible problems:

a) using rrdtool 1.0
   As long as you try stacking area on area, or line on line, you can
   use the form "STACK:GRAPH2:Area 3"

b) wrong parameter use
   E.g. you now have "AREA:GRAPH8:Area 4"  ":STACK" (2 strings)
   instead of "AREA:GRAPH8:Area 4   :STACK" (1 string)

Given the error message, I expect case "b" to be the problem.

I'm not sure if the following is going to work, but give it a try:
Change "AREA" into "DEBUGAREA" and see how the line is parsed.

HTH
--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/