[rrd-users] Y axis unit problem

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Dec 26 00:13:56 CET 2007

On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 09:55:52PM +0100, Lennart Koopmann wrote:

> I fill in the values, generate the graph PNG and everything except the Y
> axis looks great! It
> should have some markers like "1, 2, 3, 4, 5" but it has "0, 200m, 400m,
> 600m, 800m" - Why? Where do these unit values come from?

Those are "milli" somethings.  You are actually seeing
0.0, 0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8 on the Y-axis.

They indicate that your rates does not go any higher than about
7/10 per second.

If you expect to see 5, but get 0.7 instead, it probably is because
you are not collecting data the way you should.

Try rrdtool fetch, and look at the numbers.  If they are what you
expect, then I overlooked something. But if those numbers also show
up as "7.0E-01" and similar, the problem is not in your graph command
but rather in your rrdtool create command.

Try the tutorial. You may learn something you do currently not know.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/