[rrd-users] Generating images from webpages ?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Feb 2 12:11:42 CET 2007

bri at dmsave.com wrote:

>  It's a couple of years since I've last used RRDtool - and that time
>it was on a MS IIS server... As far as I remember, I added a cgi
>handler for rrdcgi files (or someting like that), so that images
>were gerenated dynamically when the page was loaded (with some sort
>of parameter to specify not to update the file unless it last was
>generated more than e.g. 5 minutes ago)...
>
>How do I accomplish this with Apache on linux ? I've noticed the
>rrdcgi command, but whenever I try to load a page, that contains
>rrdcgi, the first line I see is:
>
>#!/usr/bin/rrdcgi
>
>I have added "Options ExecCGI" in the location parameter for the
>folder in my httpd.conf , the file is chmod'ed to 755, and ownership
>is apache.apache ....

I'm no Apache expert ...

Checking a system at work I see that in the site config we have :

         ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
         <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
                 AllowOverride None
                 Options ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
                 Order allow,deny
                 Allow from all
         </Directory>

In the main config there is also a statement :

DirectoryIndex index.html index.cgi index.pl index.php index.xhtml

I think that just tells Apache what files to look for when the user
just gives a directory address.