[rrd-users] C API?

henrik-rrdusers at hswn.dk henrik-rrdusers at hswn.dk
Tue Feb 6 23:00:38 CET 2007

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 11:02:45AM -0800, Camilo Rostoker wrote:
> Is there a C API for RRDtool?  I read the thread from back in Feb 2006
> about the update/creation of a C API
> (http://www.mail-archive.com/rrd-developers@lists.oetiker.ch/msg01664.html),
> but I can't seem to find anything else about it.

There is an API - it's specified in the "rrd.h" file - but it isn't
really documented anywhere.

I found the easiest way of learning this API was to look at the source
for the "rrdtool" program. The functions use more or less the same
parameters as the commandline utilities.

If it's of any help, you can see how I use the RRDtool API to
create and update RRD files. My project is the "Hobbit Monitor"
on http://hobbitmon.sourceforge.net/ - you can browse the source
at http://www.hswn.dk/beta/snapshot/ . The RRD create/update happens in
http://www.hswn.dk/beta/snapshot/hobbitd/do_rrd.c

Regards,